Volunteers are at the core of Watermelon Mountain Ranch. Your skills and talents are always in need. There are so many ways to help at the ranch including photographing animals for our web-site, helping with laundry, gardening and so much more.
Log In to VOLUNTEER MATRIX for current volunteers: CLICK HERE
Ready to get involved?
1. Participate in one of our Saturday “Volunteer Orientations.” They occur on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month. The Orientation takes place from 12pm to 1pm (please arrive about 5 minutes early to check in.) Take a half-hour tour to learn about our facility and mission.
- Before coming out, it’s a great idea to complete our volunteer application. You can download it here and bring it with you. For driving directions please look under our “contact us” page.
- If you are under 18 years of age, please have a parent or guardian sign your application prior to volunteering. If you are under 16 years of age, a parent or guardian will need to be with you at all times while volunteering.
- After you’ve done the tour, volunteers are welcome Wednesday – Sunday between 10am and 4pm. "Seasoned Volunteers" are welcome to come out and volunteer on Monday & Tuesday from 10am-4pm as well.
- Once you have completed volunteer orientation you will receive log in information for our online volunteer sign in system (if you provided an email address on your application). The link to log in and see all of the opportunities is HERE . Click and find out about all of the different opportunities coming up!
2. Community Service Volunteers
- If you are volunteering for school/community benefits please attend one of our Saturday orientations.
- If you would like to volunteer as a group (school, church, company, scouts, etc.) please contact our volunteer coordinator to set-up a tour and project, email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Volunteer Guidelines
- Dress Code
- No Short Shorts (they must be mid thigh length)
- Close Toed Shoes (No Flip Flops/No Sandals/No Ugg Style Boots)
- No see through or revealing clothing
- Tshirt style shirts are recommended
- Dress in Layers during the cooler months
- Things to Bring with You
- Great Attitude!! And a Smile!!
- Bottled Water (it can get hot and hydration is important!)
- Snacks (especially if you will be at the ranch a good amount of time)
- Sunscreen (especially during the summer)
- Things to Leave at Home
- Treats (our dogs are on diets and are well fed)
- Personal Pets of any kind
- Electronic Devices (we have plenty to keep you busy!)
- No Ear Buds/Headphones- this is for your safety and the animals.
4. Court Ordered Community Service
- If your are coming to the ranch to complete court ordered community service hours, many of the same rules apply.
- Must be over 16 to complete your hours, without a parent or guardian. If you are under the age of 16, a parent or guardian must be on property while you complete your hours.
- You are welcome to complete your hours (7) days a week between 9am and 4pm.
- The same dress code does apply
- A Court Ordered Community Service Form must be completed the first day you com to complete your hours. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must also sign this form.
- Please bring any related paperwork concerning the completion of your hours, each day you come to the ranch.
Below are just some of the jobs we need volunteers for. If there is something different you can offer that is not listed here, please let our volunteer coordinator know at email@example.com
Working with our Dogs
- Before spending time with one of the dogs or taking them for a walk (even if you have worked with them before) please ask kennel staff to see if its ok.Please be aware of all signage that is present on the kennels.
- When you're ready to walk a dog, ask a kennel worker for a "slip leash" and about proper leash etiquette. Remember to return the leash.
- We love having volunteers walk our dogs, but ask that children under the age of 16 allow a parent/guardian to hold the leash. This ensures the safety for both volunteers and animals.
- All dogs should be walked on the ranch. If you approach a volunteer or staff member that has another animal, please do not let the dogs interact. Not all of our animals get along. We want to ensure everyone stays happy and stafe.
Working with our Cats
- Before opening any of the doors, make sure the one you came through is securely shut. Only one door should be open at a time.
- Our cats are separated based on their personalities. Please do not take them from one side to another.
- You are welcome to pet and pick up the cats. But if they hiss, growl, or run away, please do not pursue them. It means they are not feeling social
- Unless you are a "seasoned" volunteer and have received approval from our staff, please do not visit with the cats in "Beth's". These cats need special care and are still getting used to being around people.
- Please DO NOT go into "Katrina" The only cats in this facility are ill and should only be tended to by staff members
Helping at Adoption Events & Special Events
Come and join our adoption team. If you enjoy working with people as well as animals, you can work at our adoption events at the Petsmart on Coors Bypass or many of the off-site opportunities we have available. Be there to share in the joy of a homeless pet finding a new family.
We have many special events throughout the year that we need help with. The jobs vary from doing adoptions, answering the public’s questions and helping with our animals. To learn about upcoming events keep an eye on our calendar and join us on Facebook.
Office Helpers - We need your organizational skills to help with record keeping, mailings, typing, computer work and other administrative tasks. Every little bit helps towards getting our four-legged friends into a forever home.
Construction Help - Do you enjoy building things and fixing them up? We always need people for small construction projects from installing chain link fencing, building temporary pens for special events, painting and doing simple repairs. If you’re interested in helping please let us know.
Landscaping - We need help maintaining the grounds at the ranch. If you would like to help keep the facility looking its best, please join us for watering and general projects. Make it a Scout or Company project and bring the whole group for community service.
Helping at our Resale Store(s) & Adoption Center
We now have a fabulous resale store and adoption center inside Cottonwood Mall. Volunteers are welcome to come help sort donations and assist customers on the retail side. We are also welcoming volunteers to help on the adoption center side. Help socialize the cats, walk dogs, light cleaning and answering general questions from the public. The new location is open 7 days a week and volunteers are welcome throughout the day. For more information on the Cottonwood location please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't forget about our Bernalillo Resale Store. Help price and sort items at our quaint location in the Town of Bernalillo. This store is open Thursday through Saturday from 10am to 4pm. For more information on please email Rochelle at email@example.com
*The Cottonwood mall location is currently closed for a relocation, and is not an avaiable location for volunteering*