Volunteers are at the core of Watermelon Mountain Ranch. Your skills and talents are always in need. There are so many ways to help at the ranch including photographing animals for our web-site, helping with laundry, gardening and so much more.
Ready to get involved?
1. Participate in one of our Saturday “Volunteer Orientations.” They occur (almost) every Saturday at noon. Take a half-hour tour to learn about our facility and mission.
- Before coming out, it’s a great idea to complete our volunteer application. You can download it here and bring it with you. For driving directions please look under our “contact us” page.
- If you are under 18 years of age, please have a parent or guardian sign your application prior to volunteering. If you are under 15 years of age, a parent or guardian will need to be with you at all times while volunteering.
- After you’ve done the tour, volunteers are welcome Wednesday – Sunday between 10am and 4pm.
2. Community Service Volunteers
- If you are volunteering for school/community benefits please attend one of our Saturday orientations.
- If you are volunteering as part of a mandate from the city/state, you must arrive at the Ranch by 9am. Any later and you will be turned away. To set-up your community service please contact our office. In order to participate in this program you must be 15 years or older and have a parent’s signature on the volunteer form prior to beginning.
3. Helpful Volunteer Tips
- When volunteering at the ranch there is a good chance you’ll get dirty. Depending on what you’re doing you may use bleach. Please consider wearing clothes that can get messy.
- Working with animals and being in the sand, it’s always a good idea to wear shoes that enclose your feet. Sandals are not always a great option (even when it’s hot).
- Consider bringing bottled water and snacks. You can store your snacks/lunch in one of our office refrigerators (but please don’t feed the animals).
Become a Foster Parent
We always need Foster Parents to give loving temporary homes to dogs or cats until a permanent home is found. If you feel you have space in your heart and home to be a foster to one of these needy animals let us know.
Dog Fosters: Robin (505) 771-0140 ext. 2
Cat Fosters: Jen (505) 771-0140 ext. 4
Working with our Dogs
We need your help to provide TLC, exercise, and companionship, to dogs who are boarded at various locations at the ranch while awaiting adoption. Please speak with a kennel technician prior to interacting with any of our dogs to learn proper leash etiquette, safety tips and where the best place is to walk your new buddy.
When spending time with our dogs, please do not provide them with treats. We like to monitor what they are eating in the event they become ill and when there is more than 1 dog per area, it can cause fighting. Thank you for your understanding.
Working in the Cattery
Our cats love attention and to be brushed. Spend time in our fantastic cattery getting to know the cats that are staying with us while they await adoption. Though we have many toys for them to play with, they always enjoy new balls and stuffed mice to bat around!
Helping at Adoption Events
Come and join our adoption team. If you enjoy working with people as well as animals, you can work at our adoption events at the Ranch or many of the off-site opportunities we have available. Be there to share in the joy of a homeless pet finding a new family.
We have many special events throughout the year that we need help with. The jobs vary from doing adoptions, answering the public’s questions and helping with our animals. To learn about upcoming events keep an eye on our calendar and join us on Facebook.
We need your organizational skills to help with record keeping, mailings, typing, computer work and other administrative tasks. Every little bit helps towards getting our four-legged friends into a forever home.
Do you enjoy building things and fixing them up? We always need people for small construction projects from installing chain link fencing, building temporary pens for special events, painting and doing simple repairs. If you’re interested in helping please let us know.
We need help maintaining the grounds at the ranch. If you would like to help keep the facility looking its best, please join us for watering and general projects. Make it a Scout or Company project and bring the whole group for community service.
If you like to sew, we always have projects we could use help with – from sewing dog/ cat blankets, bandanas and coats for the animals to table coverings for special events.
Our Resale Stores
We are ALWAYS in need of good volunteers for our resale stores. You can help with sorting, pricing, tidying up the facility and assisting one of our adoption counselors with the animals that are awaiting adoption. For more information please contact our office or look under our “resale store” page.
You can imagine how much dog and cat food we need to feed the animals in our care. Not to mention kitty litter, toys, beds, bowls, even paper towels. And, as we continue with building our facility here at the Ranch, we need construction supplies as well. To view our wish list, please click here